Thursday, November 26, 2009

The art of giving thanks

So since I woke up late this morning by the time I got upstairs I couldn't figure out any way to effectively help with the cooking portion of Thanksgiving, but just when I was about to give up and go play with my one year old cousin until it was time to set the table, my mom called me over and for yet another year I was the designated gopher for last minute forgotten items. So with my mom's credit card in hand I made my way to Wal-Mart at about 11am on Thanksgiving morning. What I found there made me laugh. It was the single largest collection of lost-looking husbands you will ever find. Some had cell phones. Some had small children. All had a whole shopping cart that was almost empty, save for a few processed cookies and treats. Across the valley you could almost hear frazzled young wives releasing an audible sigh of relief as they watched their husbands and young children leave their house.
After a wonderful meal and cleanup we passed the time napping and flipping through all the ads trying to decide what to get for others and what to tell others to get for us. As I am dead beat broke this year, I will not be joining the masses of lemmings in their early morning quest for deals this year. I will be happily sleeping. I did give my mom a list of things I would like for Christmas, because otherwise she loses all grip on sanity at the prospect of trying to come up with stuff for her kids who really do already have just about everything. It has always been my job to try and come up with things which I want that I don't already have. Over the past five years or so this list has been growing considerably smaller and more practical. This year's big ticket items for me are a years supply of contacts, a heated blanket, and a digital camera to replace the one that ran away from me this summer. Boring? Heck ya. But I'm okay with that. To spice my list up a little I did ad in a few more fun items such as 17 Again and some Disney Princess movies. However, you can expect me to be happy as anything on Christmas morning being able to see my presents without glasses, curled up under a blanket that's already warm, and documenting the whole experience.

No comments: